1 any of the radiating leaflike spore-producing structures on the underside of the cap of a mushroom or similar fungus [syn: gill]
2 a thin membrane that is one of the calcified layers that form bones
3 thin plate [also: lamellae (pl)]
- a thin, plate-like structure
- the gill of a mushroom.
Lamella is a term for a platelike structure, appearing in multiples, that occurs in various situations, such as biology or materials sciences. It implies a thin layer (Latin), the same derivation as for `laminate'. It can mean:
- Lamella (zoology), a structure in an animal
- Lamella (mycology), a structure beneath the cap of a mushroom
- Lamella (materials), a structure within geological, biological, or synthetic materials
- Lamella (cell biology), a sub-cellular structure
- Lamella clarifier, a water treatment process
- Lamellar armour, a medieval type of armour similar to scale armour.
- Lamella (soil morphology), an effect of clay illuviation in sandy soils.
lamella in French: Lamelle
lamella in Simple English: Lamella